When you got married, it seemed simple to change your name.  You showed your marriage license to the entity and it was taken care of.

Now that you are getting divorced, you aren’t certain if you want to change your name in the divorce.  You think “If I decide to change it, I’ll just show my divorce decree and that will take care of it.”  However, it’s not that simple.  It is important to decide whether you may want to change your name prior to filing your divorce petition, as this request should be included in your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.  If you don’t know, err on the side of asking for it.  You can always decide later to withdraw the request.

If you do not want to keep your married name after the divorce, it should be incorporated in the Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage.  This can be done through a series of questions at the final hearing.  The following requirements are not mandated.  However, most divorce courts require you to certify that you are not changing your name for illegal purposes, have not been adjudicated bankrupt, and that you are not changing your name to avoid creditors.

If you wait and change your name after the divorce, you will need to go through a separate court case, which will be more costly and involved.

At Birnbaum, Lippman & Gregoire, PLLC, we work diligently and compassionately to represent your interests throughout the divorce process in Palm Beach, Broward, Dade, and Collier Counties. We provide personal, effective, and compassionate legal services at competitive rates.

– Written by Katherine O. Birnbaum and Tiffany N. Mody